Pie and Dating

So... as you approach 30 and happen to be completely alone (not to be confused with single n' mingling), people start to get nervous for you. 

Even when you're not nervous for yourself.

Which then makes you think, 'Should I be nervous?' 

And then you get nervous.

And then you go on a date.

I suppose most people go on many dates, but I'm good.


I tried it and I think I'm all set.

I HAD TO PUT PANTS ON. Some days, that's just straight up unreasonable.

So I made a pie because pies don't ask you questions. 

And this pie, if pie could be a person, would be the kind of pie-person that would take you on a really fun date. They would be sweet, sharp, and charming. I would continue to wax poetic about this dream pie-person, but things would probably get a little weird, so on with the recipe for you to make your own dream pie date!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie 
(because it's one of my favorites and rhubarb and strawberries are in season y'all!)

You Will Need:

1 recipe All Butter, Really Flaky Pie Dough (or pie dough recipe of your choice!)
3 1/2 cups 1/2-inch thick slices trimmed rhubarb (about 1 1/2 pounds untrimmed)
1 16-ounce container strawberries, hulled and halved (about 3 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg beaten and whisked with 1 teaspoon water
sanding sugar (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar and granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt.

Roll out one half of chilled dough recipe and lay onto the bottom of your pie pan. Trim any excess dough away from the pie pan.

Roll out second half of chilled dough and cut into strips (if you're doing a lattice top like I did, or you can leave it with a solid top - whatever you want to do! Get creative!)

Fill pie shell with filling and top with your style of choice. Using the egg wash, brush the top of the pie and sprinkle sanding sugar, if using.

Bake pie at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 1 hour and 20-30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown and the filling has thickened.

My pie all set and ready for the oven!

I always end up with scraps or spoonfuls of filling one way or another, so you can do hand pies (mini hand-held pies!), crumb pies, or just throw any leftover filling in a ramekin, top with your leftover dough scraps and bake off a mini taste test for yourself because you're awesome and you deserve it!


This is sooooo much better than having to put on pants.

Comments

Teh Kait said…
I was sitting on my couch and I thought "I haven't read Joj's blog in so long!" and so I typed in the address because I still have it memorized and here I am. Miss you!!! <3 K8

Popular Posts