Quinoa Mac and Cheese

Well, technically it's Mac-less mac and cheese. :)

I've been on a huge quinoa kick lately and I'm finding that because I'm cooking for one nowadays, I'm having to be more creative - meaning plain cooked quinoa can only be eaten for so many meals...

I also had tasted a black pepper cooper cheese a while ago that made me immediately think about how well it would go into a mac and cheese. Obvi. Black pepper and cheesy noodles go together like ketchup and fries. Mmm.


It was a huge hit at work, so it's definitely a substitute you could consider for your Thanksgiving table next week! I know I'll be bringing it to my Thanksgiving! 

And I could try to sell you on this being a healthier version of mac and cheese, but only because it has quinoa and not pasta. Everything else about it is unapologetically cheesy and delicious. Because all health foods and no play would make me a crazy person.

You Will Need:
1 1/2 cups quinoa, soaked for an hour
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups cheddar cheese
1/4 pound sharp american (cooper) cheese (or cheese of your choice!)
1/2 cup panko

Rinse soaked quinoa thoroughly and drain. In a medium saucepan, add quinoa and 2 3/4 cups water and a pinch of salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil, then simmer on medium heat. Once water is dissolved, turn off heat and set quinoa aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet, heat butter until melted, then add flour and whisk until smoothed. Add milk and heavy cream and mix until smooth and thickened. Add cheese and mix until melted thoroughly, then add cooked quinoa and stir to combine.

Season to taste with salt and pepper. Smooth the top and sprinkle panko crumbs on top. I dressed mine with a little bit of basting oil, but you can add more cheese on top or melted butter if you wish!

Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are browned and extra crispy and delicious!

And I'm totally cool with eating this for multiple meals! I've had it with sides of roasted brussels sprouts, grilled chicken, beet greens, it goes with anything! Obviously. I'd eat mac and cheese with cereal if I could. 

I'm sorry, I don't know if you noticed this earlier, but just look at that crispy, cheesy crust. 

If you have enough for leftovers, I'd totally suggest forming chilled patties of the quinoa mac and cheese and pan frying them in some olive oil, then serving them up as cheesy "hash browns" with breakfast the next morning! Mmm. I'll most definitely be getting down with some of these hash browns tomorrow morning!

Have a great weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts