Bagna Cauda

Remember how I told you I was reading The Man Who Ate Everything? Well, I didn't make it past the introduction before being inspired. Reading this thing might take me a lifetime at this rate.

In the introduction, Steingarten talks about food aversions and how as a food critic he had to quickly overcome many of his - anchovies included. How did he do it? He discovered Bagna Cauda.

On my last trip to NYC, I had bought this little jar of anchovies at Eataly and had been saving it for whatever reason. This was that reason. And now I have to go back to Eataly to get more of this stuff.

Since this recipe is so simple - you're going to want to use the very best ingredients. Imported anchovies, really exceptional olive oil. There are million different recipes online - some are more rustic, which is what I prefer, others are blended into a creamy caesar-dressing like dip (probably something I'd do to trick people into trying anchovies). 

The recipe I found below is from Bon Appetit and really quick to put together and make sure to serve it warm with assorted veggies and bread.

You Will Need:

24 unpeeled large garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons butter
1 2-ounce jar anchovy fillets, oil drained
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch vegetables if you're serving veggies that need blanching (cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, etc.). Remove veggies and set aside. 

In same water, simmer garlic until tender, about 20-25 minutes. Drain, cool, and peel. Place garlic in a shallow bowl; mash with back of fork until smooth. Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add anchovies and stir 1 minute. Add garlic, then whisk in olive oil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5 minutes, whisking occasionally (sauce may separate). Season with salt and pepper; serve dip with vegetables and bread. 

I can't think of a better way to wrap up the summer this weekend. A nice platter of veggies and bread and this phenom dip on the deck.

It'll change you into an anchovy fan for sure.

Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Comments

Crista said…
Next time you are in NYC, reach out to these people: https://www.gustiamo.com/about-gustiamo/
They are a warehouse I think in the Bronx. I contacted them years ago and said I would be in the area and would love to stop by. They were super nice - they let me 'shop' the warehouse and get pasta, tomatoes, coffee and the best anchovy paste/oil nectar of the gods. Check them out!

Popular Posts