Let's Talk Brunch

Brunch: (n.) The highlight of every basic girl's weekend.

And there ain't nothing wrong with that!

Last weekend, I basically lived in Mosaic District in Merrifield. I had an absolutely amazing dinner at BSide (so amazing I have no evidence of the dinner) and then the next morning met up with Susie for brunch at DGS Delicatessen. And that's what we're here to talk about this morning.

In scoping out the menu, I had decided I would go with their shakshouka because I had never heard of it before. Upon further research, it seems to be a combination of slow roasted peppers and onions, topped with tomatoes, spices, and runny eggs. I crunched the probability of me enjoying that dish and it absolutely had to happen. 

Well, it didn't happen. When I got there, Susie (thankfully) had convinced me to try their benedictberg - their version of eggs benedict.

Will you look at that!? Perfectly poached eggs resting on top of potato latkes. WHAT. English Muffins will go extinct with stuff like this. And not only that - but you see that slab of smoked salmon? House-cured and so buttery and melt-in-your-mouth perfect. Oy.

And Susie went with their Challah French Toast. I mean, look at the burn on that toast. Perfection.

But what's best is when places inspire you. I went home and immediately bought some smoked salmon to attempt the benedictberg (but since it requires perfecting latkes, we'll get to that another day). And I looked up a how-to for shakshouka.

And that's what I have to share with you today - I woke up, whipped out the ol' skillet and got chopping! I didn't follow the recipe precisely because I never follow the recipe precisely (and also because I realized my pantry only had a small can of rotel and I was diced-tomato-less). Preparedness isn't really my thang.

So do your thing - I feel like these recipes are always a use-what-you-got and it will all cook down into something amazing.

You Will Need:

1 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, with juice, coarsely chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
6 large eggs

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes. Add garlic and cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes; stir in cumin, paprika, and cayenne and cook 1 minute. 

Pour in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper; simmer until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled feta.

Gently crack eggs into skillet over tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 7-10 minutes. 

Serve with something crusty to sop it all up!

All done! I kept mine in the oven for 6 minutes - I love nothing more than a runny yolk, but you can leave it in longer if you think that's the most disgusting sentence you've ever read in your entire life. 

And like I said, I ad-libbed on the recipe, so mine is definitely more rustic looking (read: chunky/sloppy). If you follow the recipe above, it will definitely be more sauce-y and smooth, so definitely have some crusty bread within arms reach. 

Have a happy weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts