Rhubarb Meringue Pie

Happy Happy Weekend! I love a solid rainy weekend!

I've been kind of obsessed with rhubarb lately, and work had some gooooorgeous rhubarb, so I thought it would be the perfect weekend to try out a recipe for Rhubarb Meringue Pie I found in the Nordic Bakery Cookbook.

What I love about the recipe is that it's super simple - you should have everything you need in the pantry - all I had to pick up was the rhubarb. The pie looks gorgeous and I'm sure it tastes just as amazing by the looks of what goes into it.

I mean, LOOK at it. *drool

As I was saying, the rhubarb at work was stellar. When you're looking for rhubarb, I prefer the brightest reds I can get my hands on. I also prefer a combination of thin and thick stalks.

Make sure to trim off the ends (they dry out) and any leaves (they're poisonous). For those who don't know, rhubarb looks like red celery and tastes like magic. It has this awesome tart flavor and while most people are probs more familiar with the ol' strawberry and rhubarb combo, I'm confident rhubarb can hold its own in this recipe. Step aside strawberry, you've had your time.

You Will Need:

For the Tart:
6 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, separated
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 Tablespoons whole milk

For the Filling/Topping*:
3-4 rhubarb stalks, trimmed and sliced
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 + 2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup slivered almonds

*I doubled the meringue recipe because I love a tall meringue pie :)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Butter a tart pan or pie dish and set aside. 

In a stand mixer, cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add half of the flour mixture while mixing on low. Add half of the milk, then remaining flour mixture and milk - in that order. Mix to smooth consistency. (It will be more of a cake batter than a dough consistency.)

Transfer dough to tart pan and press evenly across the bottom and sides of the pan (the dough is sticky so I wet my fingers to make this step easier). 

In a medium bowl, mix rhubarb, cinnamon, and 2 teaspoons of sugar. Spread over tart.

In a stand mixer, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form, then add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, whisking until firm. Fold in vanilla extract, then spoon on top of pie. Scatter slivered almonds on top and bake 35-40 minutes.

All put together and ready for baking!

Oy. When it's all said and done, this is what you're left with:

A pie with a cake-like layer at the bottom, yummy sweet, tart, and cinnamon-rhubarb in the middle, and a layer of soft sweet meringue on top. Remember I doubled the meringue! Deeeeelicious!

Enjoy your weekend kiddos!!!

Comments

Popular Posts