Birthday Post!

I've never been a "HUZZAH IT'S BY BURRRFDAY" type, but the older you get, the more you realize how lucky you are to be turning another year older. That probably sounds like something 80 year olds say... but that doesn't seem too far away from 29 if you do math like I do math.

It was a nice weekend - one of the highlights being brunch with Joey at Le Diplomate! I can't think of a better way to celebrate that with amazing food! 

We sat outside and let me tell you this place has the greatest brunch. It made us feel like we were in the French Riviera. It's a must see in DC!

They make their bread and pastries in-house and it was hands down the greatest bread basket I've ever had my paws in. The morning's selection included sourdough, a cranberry walnut, and baguette.

And now for what Joey and I were most jazzed about - the foie gras parfait! A generous helping served with toasted brioche. It was so amazing, super rich, and easily one of the top 5 greatest things I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. This dish is worth the trip alone. 

But we didn't stop there, because when in Rome... apparently ordering steak tartare is also something you do. And it was deeeeelish!

Joey had their French Toast (where that awesome brioche reappeared) and I ended up getting a gruyere omelet - a gorgeous french style omelet - soft and pillowy and perfect. I was way to full at this point to even prop myself up. Basically a sign of a solid brunch. :)

Yum! And we were able to snag outdoor seating! Perfect for people-watching and the service there is amazing - very European in that they don't rush you out. So we stayed for a while, which you'll want to do too to work through that foie gras.

The only other thing I wanted for my birthday was a coconut cake and I found the perfect recipe for one! The Peninsula Grill in Charleston makes a so-called "ultimate coconut cake" that has been on my bucket list. Well, turns out it's about $200-ish to ship one to my doorstep, so I just made one. More on that recipe later, because it's a doozy (but it's well worth it!).

What you're looking at is 12 pounds of cake made up of 11 cups of coconut flakes, over 9 cups of heavy cream, 2 1/2 pounds of butter, 9 cups of powdered sugar, and other things. Thankfully the process of making one is lengthy enough that it's most definitely only a once-in-a-blue-moon type endeavor. 

And finally, because we all have to pay dues to the devil, I met up with my main man Amad on Monday to work off all of the goodness I had treated myself to over the weekend. I can't (and don't) say enough about this guy! He is the greatest trainer and has become a such a great friend! So grateful I have him to undo all of the food I absolutely love putting into my body. :)

If you're in the Northern Virginia area, check him out! He's the best in the business!

So I plan on living this 29th year of my life as I have my 28th year - another amazing year of great food and friendships. Another great year of work and balance - and bracing myself for the impact of the ol' 3-0. #ugh 

Comments

Popular Posts