Merry Christmas (And a Savory New Year!)

Sometimes I really knock it out of the park and this is one of those times... not that I can take all of the credit because this is a Food52 recipe I've been meaning to try for some time, but I mean... I made it with my own two hands.

I will say that if you do it my way, it's a bit of a pain (there are certainly ways to simplify the process, but I've got nothing better to do and I totes subscribe to the theory that roasting/toasting/blood/sweat/tears just make things taste better) but it's totally worth it because if you're anything like me, you'll probably like savory rugelach more than some people you're hanging out with at your next holiday party. 

And having this stuffed in your mouth is a perfectly good reason to not have to talk to any of these people.

Now for a break to appreciate all of that flakiness:

You need this in your life immediately. Don't wait as long as I did! Your life is nothing until you've taken a bite of this. 

So on with it! 

The original recipe for Pumpkin Rugelach with Sage and Walnuts, like I mentioned, is from Food52 -  who knew rugelach dough was so easy?? 

I made it with butternut squash because I had it. Meaning I first had to roast the squash (at 425 degrees for an hour with basting oil, salt n' peppa), then mash it with a fork to make the puree. 

Butternut Squash Rugelach with Sage and Walnuts
(makes about 32 small rugelach)

You Will Need:

2 sticks unsalted butter
8 oz. cream cheese
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped finely
2 large shallots, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
1 cup squash/pumpkin/sweet potato puree
2 healthy pinches of salt
black pepper
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
1 egg
1 teaspoon water
flaky walt or shredded parmesan, for topping

Directions:

For the Dough:

Cut the butter and cream cheese into tablespoon-sized pats and let soften for 10-15 minutes. Pulse flour and salt in food processor*, then add butter and cream cheese and pulse several times, until large crumbly chunks form. Gather dough together into two large balls, flatten into square-ish shaped disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.

*If you don't have a food processor, no biggie. Just use a pastry cutter. I believe in you.

For the Filling:

Heat 3 Tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the shallots, sage, and chili and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the squash puree and cook for an additional 5 minutes to help evaporate any of the water from the squash. Season with salt and pepper. Make sure to taste it! Set aside and cool completely before using.

All Together Now:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. When dough has chilled, roll each disk into a rectangle (as best you can), about 1/4 inch thick, using flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Trim off the excess so you get a nice rectangle (and save the scraps!) 

Spread half of filling on each disk and distribute walnuts over each sheet. Cut each rectangle into 8 squares, then each square in half to make 16 triangles. Roll up each triangle starting from the base, to form a crescent. Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.

Beat egg with 1 Tablespoon of water and brush lightly on the rugelach. Top each rugelach with flaky salt or parmesan. Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown and serve warm if you can help it!

I actually made them and froze them last night before baking them off this morning - just freeze a tray of these at a time until they're solid enough to throw into a bag without sticking and when you're ready to bake, take them out of the freezer - no need to thaw, brush them with the egg wash and toppings, and you're ready to go. 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.

They're deeeelicious and I'll be making another batch today for the freezer so I always have them on hand. They're definitely a great addition to a New Year's cocktail party!

Flattened, trimmed, schmeared, cut and ready to roll!

Pulled from the freezer, topped, and ready to bake! 

Those round guys are what I made with the leftover dough - I had a spicy plum chutney I wanted to use up and cut each square in strips about 1x4" to make that shape. This is definitely one of those recipes that would be great to experiment with! Fillings! ALL of the fillings!!

I guarantee that if you have a touchdown dance of any sort hidden deep inside those bones of yours that it will come out when you take your first bite of these things. 

Wishing you all the Merriest of Christmases and a Happy 2015!

Comments

Popular Posts