Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad

I'm obsessed with quinoa!!!! I went and picked up some groceries last week and thought parsley would be a good thing, so I did some math and decided to take tabbouleh. 

Now I've had the good and the bad, and I'll say that this one tastes healthy. And I'm sure 'tastes healthy' has a negative connotation, but that's not what I mean. I mean it tastes clean, like you didn't just eat something that doesn't belong inside of you. 

Because I'm a free bird and like to use up what I have, I loosely followed Ina's recipe (which you can find HERE). It's Ina, so I'm sure it legit, but for my version:

You Will Need:
1 cup uncooked quinoa, soaked and rinsed
juice from half a lemon (or approximately 1 1/2 Tablespoons)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 stalk minced scallions (more or less as you like)
1 shallot, minced
1 bunch chopped flat leaf parsley (approximately 1 cup)
1 medium english cucumber, diced
1 tomato diced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Bring quinoa and two cups of water to a boil, then simmer until water is absorbed. Turn off heat. Add lemon juice, olive oil, and salt. Fluff with a fork to mix. Let stand at room temperature for about an hour (to cool off!).

In a large bowl, combine minced scallions, shallot, flat leaf parsley, cucumber, tomato, and cooked quinoa. Fluff until combined and add salt and pepper to taste. You can serve this at room temperature, or refrigerate for a few hours to bring out all the flavor-flavs.

So I made a batch of exactly what you just read and there's nothing I love more than having sides like that made up so that packing work lunches are an absolute breeze!!!

I grilled off some chicken and eggplant and roasted some cauliflower and have been nomming like this for the better half of the week. So easy!

And am having the salad with some roasted eggplant and a poached egg for a mediterranean-ish breakfast this morning! 

This recipe makes about 8 servings and coming it at 131 calories per serving is going to be pretty hard to beat! But I'm always taking suggestions! What do you like in/with your tabbouleh?

Comments

Popular Posts