Forest Lyfe.

I'm pretty much BFF with nature. I went for a walk yesterday (because I feel like the word hike is too kind of a word to use to describe what I was doing. I was walking on paths, after all) on the newly revamped Algonkian Trails behind my precious elementary school (Go Bobcats!).

What's up Potomac River??

The Boy Scouts have done an incredible job with the place - I walked all up on the new Eagle Trail and forded a river (I really wish someone was there to witness that because I was super proud of myself). Okay, I really just hopped across a giant puddle, but it was a big deal.

On my walk, I picked some field garlic to throw in some scrambled eggs later. 

A few words on field garlic - it grows EVERYWHERE, but I prefer to get it in the woods, where nature grows it and pesticides aren't an issue. They're also called yard onions and are often thought of as pests in a garden, but you know, one man's trash. 

All you have to do is wiggle these little guys out of the ground and you can get the tender bulbs underneath which are great grilled. The green part is great chopped up and used as you would use chives - which is where my scrambled eggs fit in to the picture.

Obviously, pick and consume at your own risk, these guys will have tubular shaped green shoots. Watch out for the Star of Bethlehem, whose bulbs are actually poisonous! They often grow close to field garlic, but you'll be able to tell because their leaves are flat and have a white stripe running down each leaf. The leaves of field garlic will give off an onion smell, the Star of Bethlehem's leaves will not.

I may just Thoreau it up and move in to the forest. I've got my sights set on this beachfront property.

After successfully finding food in the outdoors, I'm interested in seeing what else I can find. There's a huge obsession with ramps right now in the food world (aka wild leeks) and I may be able to find a few of those in my new habitat. I also need to learn how to mushroom hunt. That would be my jam.

Comments

Leslie said…
2 things.
1. You're welcome for the garlic in your scrambled eggs.
2. "Thoreau it up" hahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Sounds like "Throw it up", which is what I do when I read Thoreau.

Popular Posts