Bran Muffins!

When you get to be my age words like "bran" and "fiber" become important and almost exciting. 

It seems in this day and age everybody's got tummy issues, which is no wonder since we grew up on lunchables and gushers (not hating, I would eat these still if I could). But I suppose all of that junk catches up to us… these little kids nowadays don't know how good they've got it. Organic? That word didn't even exist in our day. Grass fed? What?

Anyway, as I was saying, I found a recipe this week from Smitten Kitchen for Blue Sky Bran Muffins and it's everythiiiiiing. Normally when I think of bran muffins, I don't get excited at all. But this recipe was SUPER easy, super moist and uses up freezer fruit. Sign me up.

You Will Need:

1 1/3 cups buttermilk (if you don't have it, just make your own!)
1 large egg
1/3 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, a little citrus zest (optional flavorings to add)
1 1/2 cups wheat bran
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar, divided
3/4 to 1 cup chopped mixed fruit (I used frozen raspberries and frozen cherries)

Directions:

Heat oven to 425 degrees F and coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.

Whisk buttermilk, egg, oil, brown sugar and any vanilla or citrus zest you'd like to use in a small bowl. Whisk bran, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir wet mixture into dry until just combined and still a bit rough. (It will seem a little runny - no worries!)

Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into each prepared muffin cup. Add about 2 teaspoons fruit to each and sprinkling the fruit with some granulated sugar. Spoon remaining batter (about 1 tablespoon each) over fruit and sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining teaspoon of granulated sugar.

Bake muffins for a total of 16 to 18 minutes, rotating pan once midway through baking time for even browning. Test with a toothpick. Do not over bake!

Muffins will keep for 3 days at room temperature, but keep well in the freezer too!

So I made half with raspberries and half with cherries topped with sliced almonds for extra oomph. 

Also, because it was the right thing to do, I sprinkled the tops with cinnamon sugar (I think I even added a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter, because cinnamon is always a good call).

Yum Yum!

Let's discuss. I'm so glad I tried this recipe! I've got a few in the freezer to just grab for breakfast as I'm flying out the door and I'm actually going to make another batch with bananas and walnuts. I know, so creative. 

If you're not so into fruit, I'm SURE this would be just as delicious with chocolate chips or coconut shavings, actually… a Rocky Road situation might be appropriate… oh, how quickly muffins can turn into cupcakes…

Have a wonderful Saturday!

Comments

Popular Posts