Teamwork Makes The Dream Work

Seriously. 

After this weekend, there is no doubt in my mind that I work best as a part of a team. Especially because I tend to bite off more than I can chew and end up neck deep in trouble/exhaustion nearly 100% of the time. 

Perfect example: wedding preparation.

Sara's getting married this weekend! Well today, actually! And we kept things simple by doing a simple cake and then decided on sugar cookies for place settings because place settings are best when you can eat them! Obvi.

Only I didn't really do the math correctly in my head because with 140 guests, that would mean 280 cookies and somehow I thought that would be a breeze. Listen, I wasn't a math major alright!

Anywho, I started baking Thursday night and it took six batches of sugar cookie dough in total - but that was the easy part! I decided to use royal icing for this job, which requires a lot of tracing (read: patience). That was fine.


But for real, Virginia has a lot of lumps and bumps along its state lines. I'm only going to do mostly mid-western box-shaped states from here on out.

Just kidding. I freaking love Virginia.

It was about Friday night that I lost my mind. It was after those Virginia cookies were all done - an entire day of tracing, flooding, and detail work that I realized I had a whole other set of cookies to do. WHAT. 

And I know that may sound easy and even kind of fun because pssh, you're juuuuust decorating cookies. But it's actually a lot of bending over the counter, standing, piping, icing getting everywhere, trying to keep everything neat and clean, and despair. Not even a solid '90s playlist can keep your mind distracted from all of the work you have ahead of you. 

So I phoned a friend. Two actually, and within the hour Burgers and Lauren were at my door ready to pipe and flood their hearts out! And they kept me sane. So through the night we worked and talked and sipped on wine because sometimes it's necessary.

One of my little worker bees! So focused!

We got all of them done in no time! Strength in numbers for real!

Get it girls!

We met up for brunch Saturday morning at Ford's Fish Shack (hello - AWESOME!) and then they helped me package up the cookies and put together the cake. Stress level - minimal. It was actually a really great day. Squeezed in a mani/pedi (read: hand massage of awesomeness to ail my tendonitis stricken hand) and even some shopping for the Miami trip I've had to throw on the back burner.

#gettingthingsdone

All packaged and ready to go!

Don't know what I'd do without them. :)

… Actually, I do. I'd probably still be decorating the cookies. Important lesson learned today - ask for help when you need it and usually the help will come with a can-do attitude and a bottle of pink moscato.

Now that the work is done I can get on with the regularly scheduled maintenance required of a wedding attendee/cake decorator/perfectionist/cookie monster.

For those of you who haven't inquired as to, "What's going on with your face?" I got eyelash extensions over a week ago out of equal parts curiosity and necessity. I have two weddings and a vacation in April and I found a really good deal for them and I figured it would be a good time to give it a try. And they're still here!

Maintenance isn't the easiest, but so far I'm pretty impressed. Since my lashes are super short and stick straight out, I've always been jealous of people who have eyelashes that drip off of their face, ehm, Casey Mac. And since I've had these guys it's been glorious! No makeup or not nearly as much is needed, which has been awesomesauce!!

So, will I go in for a refill when my lashes start looking like an awkward teenaged chicken?

This guy knows what I'm talking about. Feathers neither here nor there. Poor fella.

Probably not. I do miss being able to wash my face and not having to worry about rubbing my eyes too hard. Plus, it is pricey upkeep, so I think I'll save my dollars to put towards required maintenance, like oil changes. Cars are so needy.

Comments

Leslie said…
Your eyelashes look fab as do those cookies. Can't wait to see that beautiful face this weekend!

Popular Posts