Top Of The Mornin' To Ya!

I'm knee-deep in detoxing right now and quite frankly, I'm surprised I've lasted this long.

First of all, starting on Superbowl Sunday was a huge mistake. The hugest. I was surrounded by heaping piles of buffalo wings and cheesy everything. And not just at work - even the internet was taunting me. A guacamole field!? COME ON.

But I couldn't possibly give up on the first day, so I didn't. I choked down my beet greens soup with a half-smile (and I mean choked - Day 1 of this detox week isn't the most thrilling, but it gets better), while watching Jules nosh on her wings… I did this to myself.

This whole adventure started off with a monstrous shopping trip. I decided to break up the shopping into 2-3 trips. On my first trip, I bought ingredients for the first three days. It adds up QUICKLY.


Every day of this week starts with what Gwyneth calls The Best Green Juice and I was skeptical at first, but this stuff is seriously the BEST.


The Best Green Juice

5 leaves of kale, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
1 lemon, zest and pith removed
1 large apple, roughly chopped
1 inch section of ginger, chopped

Place all ingredients in a blender with 1/2 cup of water and puree until smooth. Pour through a fine mesh strainer (you will have to do this in parts depending on the size of your strainer) and serve.

Because of my whacky schedule, I have to do all of my prep the night before, so on the first night, I made the green juice, soaked some raw almonds, made the beet soup, and marinated an organic chicken for dinner the next day. Ridiculous.

SO MUCH CHOPPING.

So there you have it - I survived Day One. I actually spent my Superbowl over a quarter of a roast chicken with asparagus, which was pretty excellent.

(But I was so hungry after that whole beet soup fiasco, a leather shoe would have been excellent.)

Comments

Joey Bersack said…
Way to go Jo. Keep it up. You'll last longer than i did on the lemonade detox.

Popular Posts