Catering

Fun Fact: After graduation, I looked very seriously into a few job opportunities as a personal chef for different families in the area. 

I mean, the idea of spending all day planning meals and making them for people sounds like my idea of fun (I'm not even joking) and one family even threw in the if-we-go-on-vacation-you're-coming-with-us-too deal. Which sounded pretty sweet. 

My imagination painted the picture of a gorgeous neglected kitchen with a bottomless barrel of money with which I could purchase appliances and supplies with… one of those hand-spray sink hoses… a cheese cooler… and a pantry big enough to do cartwheels in.

I suppose reality doesn't really work that way. The thought occurred to me that I might actually hate cooking for a family 365 days out of the year (and their friends - one family made it very clear that they entertain a lot). And while I'm up for a good challenge, like throwing a vegetarian in the mix, I have no interest in this whole generation of I-don't-eat-anything-that's-not-mac-and-cheese types that people in this area seem to be raising. 

I guess it's different when you're Chinese because you grow up eating everything, but when my friends used to wrinkle their noses at peas... SERIOUSLY? Peas? That's what you're freaking out about? You don't know a freaky texture until you've tasted sea cucumber. Didn't even know that was a thing? Yeah, well, it's disgusting.

So clearly, I have since let go of that fantasy because with my luck, I'd end up with a family of picky eaters and gluten, dairy, and fun-intolerant vegans. 

I was going somewhere with all of this…

Ah yes, I catered an event for a friend last week! It was exciting and exhausting and amazing and I can't wait to do it again! We're talking no food allergies, no guidelines, just anything I wanted to do!

Since it was a brunch-ish, casual bites type deal, I opted for some of my faves from the blog:


and I rounded out the par-tay with some goat cheese & asparagus puff pastry and little chocolate cream puffs.

Of course party favors were in order, so I made my favorite Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies as a little send off with my little personalized business cards (thanks Moo Cards!).

In an ideal world, I'll spend the rest of my days planning meals and cooking for others, maybe not 365 days a year, unless you're Jennifer Lawrence. Because I want to be her best friend.

Comments

Popular Posts