An Apfelkuchen

Leslie was right. She saw my apple cake and raised me a better apple cake.

Usually when I'm looking over recipes to try, one word always throws it in to the DEFINITELY pile. 

Buttermilk.

I don't know, something about that tangy (smells a little like vomit) liquid gold that makes any ordinary recipe for cake just better. SO much better.

This recipe Leslie found delivers in a major way. It's not too sweet, got a subtle taste of lemon, and makes for a seriously delicious sidekick for coffee. 

Find the original recipe HERE (I'll translate it below from ounces into tablespoons - because my kitchen scale broke and I had to do some serious problem solving) - or you can find it in a comment Leslie left a few posts back. I'm just saying... comments are my jam and Leslie excels at providing them, so I'm providing her with an apple cake. Do the right thing. Leave a comment.

You Will Need:

2 pounds of apples - a firm, sweet variety (I used Gala)
juice of 1 lemon
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 1/2 a lemon
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375. Peel the apples, cut them in half and core them. Toss the halves in a bowl with lemon juice and 6 tablespoons of sugar. Set aside for one hour.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and baking powder. 

In a standing mixer (or using a handheld), cream butter and remaining sugar (about 10 tablespoons) until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla extract, and lemon zest. Stir in the flour mixture, then the milk and buttermilk.

Scrape the mixture into a buttered 10" springform pan. Score the apple slices, slicing them longways, but not completely through.* Arrange the apples in the batter and reserve the accumulated juice.

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the top is golden. Meanwhile, reduce the reserved liquid into a glaze consistency in a small saucepan. Remove the cake from the oven, let cool and brush the apple syrup onto the apples.

*I looked up pictures of how to slice the apples and it seems this is the traditional way. Certainly don't feel like you have to do that crap. I think next time, to ensure each bite has oodles of apples on it, I'll layer apple slices all over the top in a giant flower of apple-ness.

Apples are arranged and ready to go!

And the finished product :)

Comments

Leslie said…
It looks beautiful! I saw a version where you put down some batter, layer on some apple slices, put down more batter and then set the halved/sliced apples like you did. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Popular Posts