Kouign Amann

This post is about how Susie changed my life with two words: Kouign Amann. 

Seriously. These things blow those old croissants out of the water!

It's like the super buttery love-child of a puff pastry and croissant dough.

Dudes. Watch this video. If it doesn't make you want to try the pastry, then we can't be friends anymore.


Because I'm not afraid. Check out that butter package. I used my favorite - Kerrygold Irish Butter and a sprinkling of sea salt (because that sweet/salt combo is something I love more than life itself).

So where was I...

A few hours and layers later, they're ready to go! Look at those glorious layers. So. Much. Butter.

Sadly, these things had to hang out overnight before I could taste them, but they're definitely worth the wait and the effort!

Get it girls!

To describe what you're currently unable to experience, it's crispy on the top like a puff pastry with layers of glorious buttery salty/sweet softness underneath. And to round it all out a sticky caramelized thing is happening at the top and bottom, covering your fingers and face with gooey-ness not too far from what you'd experience with a sticky bun. 

I'm currently working on my second batch - dedicated to the gal who introduced me to my new favorite pastry!

They're really not hard to make, just time consuming, but seriously worth the effort! Give them a try this weekend! Or let me know if you want some and if I love you enough (and have at least 24 hours notice), I may be able to whip up a few. :)

Comments

Kaitlin said…
Those things are seriously yummy. I could have eaten three or four at a time.

Popular Posts