Midnight Meatball Making

Cathy brought me a sampling of some amazing turkey meatballs with BBQ sauce the other day and I absolutely needed the recipe for them immediately. I was blown away by how moist they were (not something that's usually synonymous with turkey meatballs) and the homemade BBQ sauce was just out of this world good!

I gathered up the ingredients tonight and swore I didn't have enough energy to make them, but they're so easy to put together that it's almost a joke.

So, you know...

If you've got a Magic Bullet, food processor, blender, or killer biceps and sheer will, I would recommend you give these a try. They are so worth it.


You Will Need:

2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes w/ mild green chiles
1 pound ground turkey
3 Tbsp panko
1 Tbsp chili powder

Directions:

Blend first six ingredients until smooth.

Combine turkey, panko, and chili powder in a large bowl. 

Using wet hands, shape into 16 meatballs (I made mini ones, so I ended up with a bit more).

Cook on skillet with cooking spray until browned.

Add tomato mixture to pan, bring to simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 6 minutes or until meatballs are done.

I ended up simmering my sauce a bit longer because I like my sauce like I like my beards... thick.

And you may be a little turned off by the amount of spice it calls for, but don't worry about it. It's no spicier than your average BBQ sauce, which isn't spicy at all. You could leave out the chili powder if you want (it's a free country), but I'd seriously have no second thoughts about feeding this to a baby. If babies eat meat. Do they? I have no idea.


The point that I'm trying so desperately to make is that these balls of meat are delicious and you should make them.

And because I'm a flipping genius (and I got a new pizza stone today - hollaaaaa), I made these tonight so they could sit in this glorious sauce overnight to be used in a BBQ turkey meatball-ish type pizza tomorrow night.


If you keep them giant, the serving size is three-ish and they can be eaten as meatballs are meant to be eaten - as a snack every time you open the fridge. Err, I meant in a crusty bread or even with mashed potatoes. Or keep them cocktail sized if you've having meat-eating babies over. 

Comments

K8 said…
Meat eating babies may be the funniest three words I've ever read.

Popular Posts