Benefits

The benefits of being known as a human garbage disposal is that people will give you things and tips on food-making.

For example, I was recently gifted with a curing salt/spice blend from Williams-Sonoma to cure some salmon from the comfort of my own home! Combined with the tip of growing Nasturtium for some pretty (and nutritious) edible flowers, I've got serious good eats at my fingertips!

The salmon was super easy! Rub the curing salt all over, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 days, rinse off and serve sliced as thinly as possible.

If you can't get your hands on a salt/spice blend, Williams-Sonoma has a recipe HERE.

This plant grows like crazy! I harvest blossoms daily! Definitely a good plant to have around! Their natural spiciness is a deterrent to common pests, so plant them in areas where you may have issues with  squash bugs or beetles. 

I've been averaging a bagel a day with my latest fixings - neufchâtel, cucumbers, salmon, sprouts, and nasturtium flowers.

And I brought some in to work to share, because none of this would have been possible had it not been for the kindness of others (and my reputation for being a food-monster).



They were pretty good sports about it. Turns out not everyone is big into eating cured salmon and flowers...

Ehm... [THIS GUY]

But they still gave it a solid try and most people liked the combination (that's what I pay them to say).

Comments

Leslie said…
That bagel looks very tasty with all those toppings. I would gladly try that. Hint hint.

Popular Posts