Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Oy. I'm hoping you've got some stellar Memorial Weekend plans!

I love going to the beach/lake/river/anywhere even if it's not super hot because there's just something so wonderful about sitting around with your friends and doing nothing!

I got this recipe in my inbox the other day from Tasting Table and whipped it up because it was cold out, warm cookies sounded like the right thing to do, I had all of the ingredients, and I was waiting on my cousin to head on over so we could work out (more on that to come).


THEY ARE AMAZING.

Which brings me to you. You see, I thought of you, holed up for your amazing long weekend with nothing but plans to read a good book under a blanket on a super soft couch. These cookies need to find their way in to your life. Make them.

The recipe comes from Rebecca LaMalfa, executive chef at Trenchermen in Chicago - get the original HERE. I made some changes because I'm a boy scout and I work with what I've got. Health nuts cover your eyes (this means I didn't have old fashioned rolled oats and used the quick oats instead).

So without further adieu,

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

You Will Need:
2 1/2 cups oats (I used quick oats)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli) 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

If you want, you can put the oats in a food processor and pulse until the oats are semi-fine. I skipped this step because I like the texture and the quick oats aren't as tough. Do whatever your heart tells you to do.

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to mix, then add oats and salt.

In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, add the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium-low speed for about 2 minutes until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl in between each egg if needed. Add vanilla extract and mix until combined. 

While on low speed, add flour-oat mixture and mix just until combined. Remove from stand mixer and fold in the chocolate chips.

Using a large spoon as a measure, scoop the dough into balls about the size of a golf ball. Set them about 2" apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You can press them down a little gently with your fingers if you prefer, but I didn't because I like my cookies thicker and chewier.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until tops are just lightly golden brown.


I baked eight off, then rolled the rest of the dough up into balls and popped them in the freezer. Once frozen, you can store them in a freezer bag or container so that they won't stick together and you can have a fresh baked cookie or two any time you've got a hankering for one!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

Anonymous said…
This recipe looks awesome! Will definitely be trying this weekend!

Popular Posts