Golden Beets

Let's just get this vegetable train rolling, shall we?

I LOVE beets. Love them.

The other day, I got my hands on a beautiful bunch of golden beets and today they met their maker. 

This doesn't make a lot - I bought a bunch that had three fairly large beets and I'd say it makes about 2 servings. You can definitely bulk this up with some quinoa or farro and make a meal out of it, but it definitely makes a phenomenal side! 

The beets are so sweet when roasted (think sweet corn sweet) and I love to incorporate the greens from the beets too (waste not want not!). I don't really know what to call this, so I'll just call it "Awesome." 

The tanginess from the red wine vinegar is perfect-o and a little Dubs (unsure of whether or not it was an angel or devil) popped into my head as I was tasting this and it whispered, "crunch component..." (all creepy Ratatouille style) and I decided to add some walnut pieces, which took it to a different level of awesome.

You're just going to have to try it. It would work perfectly with anything - next to a pork chop, at a BBQ, you get the idea.


You're going to need:
a bunch of beets (like I said, mine had three fairly large beets)
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, minced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped coarsely

Start by rinsing the beets really well (really well - there will be enough sand at the bottom of the sink to make you think beets grow on the beach). Trim off the greens and coarsely cut them (into pieces about 1 inch wide). Set aside. Carefully peel the beets and cut them into bite sized pieces. Toss in some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (until easily pierced with a fork).

Boom. Roasted. (Har har)

In a saucepan, heat some olive oil (about 1 Tablespoon) over medium heat and sweat garlic and onion. Sauté for a few minutes and add beet greens. Saute until greens are slightly wilted. Add red wine vinegar and remove from heat.

Toss greens with roasted beets and top with chopped walnuts.

YUM. I actually put this together for a potluck tomorrow and I had to stop myself from eating it all. 

It's just sitting in the fridge... all sad and lonely... and begging to be eaten...

I'm so hungry... hungry for beets...

Sadness. :/

Comments

Popular Posts