Groundhog Day

I feel like every day since Thanksgiving, I have woken up to the sight of this:


It never changes! Of course, the turkeys change (this is my third one in two months... echhhhh...), but there always seems to be an occasion for turkey and you can never pick up anything less than a 12-pounder (I feel like a certain amount of pomp and circumstance must go down for holiday dinners and that could never be achieved with a tiny turkey). So... I looked up some recipes and found page after page of turkey casseroles and noodle-y/rice-y concoctions and I'm quite confident anything involving a starch, a roux, or a cup of shredded cheese is going to kill me at this point.

I stopped at a recipe for a spin on a Waldorf Chicken Salad and decided that would be my ticket out of this turkey hell hole. 

Turkey Waldorf-y Salad

Turkey Breast, skin removed, cut into cubes (about 2 cups)
1 apple, cored and cut into cubes (I used a Fuji)
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup craisins
2/3 cup mayo (I used greek yogurt, just add until you get the consistency you like)
1 scallion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Just mix it up!

I went to Costco the other day and got a giant bag of Romaine lettuce, so I used some of the more tender leaves towards the center as lettuce wraps. Easy and filling!

I gifted myself a schmancy-ish bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and decided to bust that out today as well - will most definitely be gifting this stuff next year! It's phenom! 

I made a quick bruschetta to top off some of the last few pieces of challah left from my latest batch, and used this olive oil. Awesome! Forget French Toast, I'm making more challah just for bruschetta and dips! It toasts perfectly!

I made the bruschetta out of cut up cherry tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and some pecorino romano. I could eat bruschetta all day every day.

I'm actually thinking of making these for our family's New Year's Day party - we've given up on big holiday dinners for the time being and are having an appetizers and desserts themed gathering... basically making a dinner out of the things we typically fill up on at holiday dinners.

NO. MORE. TURKEEEEY!!!!

Comments

Leslie said…
That bruschetta looks amazing. It's been so long since I've seen anything close to a vegetable. I'm dying.
Joann said…
Agreed. I shall make you endless bowls of bruschetta at this future restaurant!

Popular Posts