Showing My Age

Well, this storm put all of my plans into a tailspin and work was definitely busier than I anticipated. The only problem is that while I'm at work, I don't ever have time to stop and watch the news and then I judge customers for overreacting (and overbuying), without even knowing how serious it is. And on top of that, even if it were serious, I'd still be too exhausted to pick up an emergency survival kit for myself.

So, let's just hope this storm isn't as bad as they're saying it will be, because if it is, I will be out of power for days/weeks with only a half case of water, 3 cans of Boddington's Ale, and a pie dish full of that eggplant and rice dish.

This is what life looked like at 8 this morning as I was headed out to work. The calm before the storm, I suppose.

After work, all I wanted to do was not move, so Yerin came over and we got our hands on Magic Mike (ooookay... just the DVD, not Channing Tatum) and some takeout and moved as little as possible. 

Drowning in Chinese Takeout 


This is basically my idea of the best night ever. It wasn't until I checked facebook that I realized everyone that is remotely our age had some sort of Halloween celebration to go to tonight. Right! Halloween!

It's funny how working in a bakery makes you so focused on preparing for the holidays (yes, Halloween and Frankenstorm both count... people have ordered cakes for both occasions) that you lose sight of the actual holiday. If you ask anyone that works in a bakery what their favorite holiday is, I guarantee you they'll most likely scream and slap you in the face at the mention of the word "holiday." At least I will. 

Comments

Leslie said…
I wish there was a good Chinese take out place near my apartment. I've tried tons of them and they're all like gross bricks of grease that settle in the pit of my stomach. With a taste that does NOT make it worth it. I mean, I'm not trying to WTSM you here, but what do I look for in a good Chinese restaurant before having to order from them? I know that they probably shouldn't also offer subs, crab cakes, and fried chicken. But what else?!
Joann said…
Giiiirl that is UNFORTUNATE! My best advice is just shop around. This place is a token Chinese take out place - sesame chicken, general tso's, lo mein, that kind of stuff (and it most certainly doesn't offer subs!). It's called China King (I think they have a few locations in DC/VA, but don't quote me on that), we can get some when you come over for potluck (maybe we can throw some turkey in lo mein and call it a Thanksgiving dish).

It's still greasy (that is kind of unavoidable) and they serve it out of a styrofoam take-out box whether you eat in or take out. A no-fuss, fast, cheap, and MSG-free sort of place.

I think when it comes to Chinese take out places, you just have to find a place that uses fresh ingredients (which China King does). Their broccoli is crunchy, not days old, soggy, and bitter. The sesame chicken doesn't taste like it's been fried in oil that hasn't been changed for days. You know, that kind of stuff...

But flavor wise, the sauces and seasonings are pretty much the same you would get anywhere. Wow. This turned into quite a long dissertation on Chinese take out restaurants. WTSM. Maybe I'm Asian after all... :/
Leslie said…
We got chinese last night because I NEEDED it after your post. It wasn't bad. I got chicken lo mein and general tso's. I think we've found the place we'll be going to. It's not amazing, but it's better than some other places. There's a place near my parents' house called Golden House and it's amazing and so fresh. I've never had lemon chicken as good and un-greasy as I have there.
Kaitlin said…
I find my dislike of the word "Holiday" intensifies the closer to October it is until the sound of it causes my brain to shut down for a few nanoseconds to spare me the agony of thinking about what's coming.

Popular Posts