Kimchi Fried Rice!!!

Brace yourself for a super What's THAT Supposed To Mean post...

If you love Koreans, sodium, and Sriracha as much as I do, then you, my friend, have come to the right place. 

Kimchi, for those of you who don't know, is a Korean dish (obvs), basically a fermented vegetable (I got some of the napa cabbage, probs the most traditional). It's spicy, it's sour, it's salty, it's everything to meeeeeeee.

And Kimchi Fried Rice holds a special place in my heart because Yerin's mom would make it for us (well, Yerin and I split it 20/80) when we were wittle freshman in college and it pretty much sealed the deal in terms of my friendship with the girl.

What can I say? I'm easily bought.

I was at Target today and I was strolling along each aisle when I happened upon SPAM. I thought, "Dang, SPAM. Koreans love SPAM. I love Korean food. I'm going to get some." 

I got the one with less sodium, which is still quite a joke. DO NOT add salt to this recipe. You will probably shrivel up into a raisin and die.

You know you're in for a treat when you're cooking with a can of meat.

Bonus point if that can of meat holds the imprint of the lid.

And now that you're all excited about cooking with SPAM, let's go over what you'll need to take a ride on this Korea-train!

1 cup of brown rice, cooked (I use brown rice, whatevs rocks your boat)
1/2 cup kimchi
2 slices SPAM, cubed
1 egg
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
2 tablespoons scallions, chopped

1. Cook your rice as directed. Once cooked, open lid and let it cool. Fluff with a spoon or fork and set aside.

2. Take your kimchi and slice into 1/4"pieces, reserving the juice.


3. In a small bowl, beat the egg until a foam forms, add a splash of water and set aside.

4. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil and beaten egg. Slowly heat until it is cooked through but not burnt. We're kind of going for a crepe kind of look here, so don't scramble it!


5. Remove from heat allow to cool before dicing it up.


6. In the same saucepan, heat up the Sesame Oil and add the SPAM. Sauté until those little cubes get all nice and crispy on the outside. Add kimchi and continue to sauté until liquid is absorbed.

7. Add rice and continue to sauté until rice everything is combined (the rice won't be pale anymore) and remove from heat.

8. Pour into a serving bowl and incorporate egg and scallions before serving!

Eaten with a splash of Sriracha on top of course. :)

Alrighty folks! I'm off with my giant bowl of Kimchi to catch the debate!

Comments

Popular Posts