Hey Fall Hey!

So my favorite season is upon us! My toes are cold, I scream when I first go outside in the morning, and I am so sick of apples I could barf (but that doesn't keep me from baking/eating/drinking them up)! I love it all! 
I love Fall!

I worked early today and decided to try a recipe from Bon Appetit for dinner. Something warm, something gooey, and something that would let me play with the saffron I picked up in Istanbul.


and it has made its way into my recipes-I-hope-I-don't-lose-because-I-will-use-them-for-life binder-ish thing that's in this kitchen somewhere... (I should probably find that binder)

The recipe replaces what would normally be lasagna noodles with a rich and creamy layer of saffron-spiked risotto. It's amazing and it's easy and it's certainly gooey. It's also vegetarian, unless you're out of vegetable stock and you use chicken stock like I did. 

You start by sauteing lots of minced onion in olive oil and adding the arborio rice to it, and any recipe that starts with sauteing onions is usually a pretty good bet.

The recipe will make a LOT - I was able to fill two large pie and three mini pie dishes so this is a great recipe to use when you need to feed a crowd (or to bring over to a certain ailing boss's house when you go visit her on Wednesday). It's definitely worth a try even if you don't stock saffron in the pantry (I don't even know if I would miss it!).


And while I was waiting for dinner to cool enough to be edible, I cut up some apples, made a quick crust, and threw together an apple crostata. I made one last night when Momma Shep and Erin were over and it made enough cinnamon sugar topping for two crostatas, so cook's logic dictates that having dessert two days in a row must happen.

Ina's Recipe, of course :) Only I used a mixture of Golden Delicious and Gala apples (sweet enough on their own since this recipe doesn't call for mixing the apples in a sugar mixture).

It's basically just an open faced apple pie that doesn't need to be baked in a pie dish. Easy peasy!

And this is definitely one dessert to eat right out of the oven while it's still piping hot! It doesn't take long to put together as long as your crust is done (and I don't have the patience to wait the full hour for it to chill, so I'm going to go ahead and say that you don't have to either) so it's perfect for one of those mid-week-must-have-some-kind-of-dessert kind of nights.

Crust. Is. So. Flaky. Must. Stop. Cutting. Slivers. And. Pretending. Slivers. Don't. Count.

Comments

Popular Posts