Challah Croutons!

If you're lucky, you'll probably use properly baked left-over challah, but it you're like me, this is a perfect way to use up the bricks of bread you made with your own blood, sweat, and tears and tried to call challah. 

Either way, once these cubes of leftover bread are seasoned and baked, they're good!

I was actually driving home and thinking to myself, "Hmmm... what am I supposed to do with two loaves of crappy challah?? I hate French Toast and I hate Bread Pudding..." and then it just came to me. Croutons. I don't really like croutons either, but I don't dislike them as much as I dislike French Toast and Bread Pudding. 

And since I've been eating the same salad for the last three days or so, the addition of croutons sounded crazy and exciting and exotic (...aaaaand I have no life).

Cut your challah into cubes, whatever size you prefer, I like cubes about an inch around.

Toss with olive oil (I also used a little garlic oil because garlic oil is awesome) and seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, whatevs.)

Spread them out on a sheet pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, flipping them halfway.

 Then just let them cool and throw them onto your salad!

And there's the ol' standby, the salad I keep made up in a giant bowl and that phenom pesto dressing.

I'm actually thinking it might be a great idea to bake some loaves of challah to have on Thanksgiving for some challah stuffing. YUM. Cutting this bread into cubes changes everything!!!

Comments

Leslie said…
I'm sorry I can't get past "I dislike French toast". Are you kidding me? AND CHALLAH FRENCH TOAST IS SO AMAZING. I did not read the rest of this post. I am conscientiously objecting.
Susan said…
I second Leslie's outrage. Challah french toast, which I made Sunday in honor of Rosh Hashanah, is amazing and the only way to make french toast. Challah bread stuffing is also the best and thus the only stuffing I make. Have I not taught you this? I am at such a loss and still awaiting my new years loaf as I mentioned on Instagram...
Joann said…
Alright, I'm not going to lie, I've enjoyed challah french toast before (when Mike and Casey brought me a loaf from ABC, we made some rockin' french toast out of it), but I'm much more of a salt person that a sweet person. I would never pick a sweet breakfast food over eggs and toast (I know, I'm an anomaly) :|

Popular Posts