Picnic Prep!


Picnics are the best and picnics at Wolftrap are even better! We went to an Al Green concert Friday night and I spent the afternoon preparing some goodies for the four of us...

Lesson #1: Make crap that looks and tastes fancy, but isn't. 
(Because this is Wolftrap, not a tailgate at FedEx Field.)

Buy frozen puff pastry sheets, cut into three, schmear some goat cheese on top, veggies of your choice, olive oil, salt and pepper, egg wash the edges, then pop it in a 350-degree oven for thirty minutes. 

Cool them, cut them and they're ready to go!
These would be a great and simple addition to a nice brunch as well.

Lesson #2: A proper dress makes ALL the difference.

Wrapping an ordinary sandwich with some parchment paper and a simple piece of raffia just amps up the class tenfold. 

You know, one most constantly consider, "What would Ina do...?"

(The parchment paper also helps keep the sandwich together while you're consuming it, so it's utilitarian too.)

There is also no wrong way to assemble a sandwich. But here's how I do it...

I cut open a gorgeous ciabatta baguette (the big crumb really helps to soak in any spread you put on top of it), slather on some pesto, then layer it up with some arugula, tomatoes, and a sprinkle of black pepper.


Now that we've built a solid bed of vegetables, it's time to layer on all of the pig product... I chose the winning combination of Genoa Salami, hot ham, and capicola.


Finally, the crucial cheese layer... I chose provolone, since this sandwich seemed to be paying homage to my Italian roots.


Cut it and pack it up!


I. LOVE. SANDWICHES.

Comments

Leslie said…
GET THAT SANDWICH TO ME STAT. Joann, please live with me. If I ever buy a house with a sweet English basement, maybe you could live in the basement for free and cook for me all the time. I NEED THAT SANDWICH.
Leslie said…
Also when you mentioned "hot ham" as one of the pork products, I could only think of Lindsay Bluth Funke in Arrested Development when she cooks "hot ham water".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdmySY9Qiqo
Leslie said…
I MADE THIS SAMMY LAST NIGHT AND I DIED OF HAPPINESS WHILE EATING IT. Except I pulled it more in the direction of an Italian, with EVOO and Italian seasoning and prosciutto and turkey balgona and tavern ham.
Joann said…
YAYYY!!!! But I seriously doubt any Italian sandwich is as good as a bahn mi... now THAT is a deeeelicious sandwich.

ERMAHGERD. Bahn Mi on a ciabatta baguette. Let's have a sandwich potluck party.

HAHAHAHAHA so watery... and yet there's a smack of ham to it

Popular Posts