Spring Pot Pie!

Wowza. The last 48 hours of my life have been crazy, which is why you haven't had any reading material this weekend (apologies). I'm also assuming you check this blog every day (as you should).

Well, if you have some time, leftover chicken, and a love for pot pies, then this was worth the wait.


I used my mini Emile Henry pie dishes - and revisited a past recipe, but revamped it a bit. As mentioned in the previous pot pie post, these pie dishes are phenom.

The thing is, I LOVE pie. Especially pot pie. I love it so much that I always burn my mouth because I don't have the patience to wait for it to cool. I call this version of pot pie a Spring Pot Pie because of the bright colors. You can obviously substitute the turkey with chicken, but I had turkey, and I work with what I've got.

For starters, I used Ina Garten's recipe for pie crust. Always. This recipe will make enough for one large pie or three mini pies and some leftover crust, but more on that in a bit...

If you're making your crust from scratch (which is the right thing to do, but I won't hold it against you if you don't), get started on that so that it has time to chill in the fridge for a bit while you make the filling.


I don't like my crust too thick, crust to filling ratio is crucial.


Now these are the star of the show - purple potatoes! I've mentioned them before, but they are not only gorgeous and good for you, but I love their flavor. They are not as starchy as a russet potato and have a slight sweetness to them.


This recipe is definitely worth getting your hands dirty for - I actually doubled the recipe for the filling so I could make extra pies to freeze.

Ingredients:
Pie Crust (check out the link above for Ina's recipe)
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, diced
3 tablespoons dried parsley
1 tablespoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups chicken stock
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out pie crust into desired baking dish, set aside.
2. Melt two tablespoons butter into a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion, celery, carrots, dried herbs, and salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft.
3. Add chicken stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir in the potatoes and cook until tender but still firm. Add frozen peas at the last minute.
4. In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining two tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour. Add milk, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Add turkey and stir to combine.
5. Stir the turkey mixture into the vegetable mixture and cook until thickened. Cool slightly, then pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shell.
6. Roll out the top crust and place on top of the filling. Press to seal the edges and make slits on top of the pie to let out steam.
7. Brush the top of the pie with a little egg, then top with a little coarse sea salt (if you wish - I love salt, so to me, this is the right thing to do).
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce your oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
9. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.

If you have any extra filling or pie crust, make a pasty!


All I did was cut a large rectangle (or whatever shape you wish), fold it over, and crimped the edges with a fork. Finish as you would a regular pie and BOOM, you have a pasty or hand pie.

Enjoy this one, there's nothing quite like that first bite of a homemade pot pie!

Comments

Leslie said…
Pot pie is the only item I've ever thrown up and not been scarred for life off of eating. (With the exception of a few alcoholic beverages.) If I were more of a baker, I'd make that crust. I was recently really into making pathetic quiches involving refrigerated pastry dough and all the vegetables/meats in the fridge. I'll keep Ina's recipe in mind.
Leslie said…
YOU ARE LITERALLY THE BEST EVER.
Joann said…
haha no YOU ARE. Thanks for the comments! Did you guys taste it yet?

Popular Posts