:(

It's been a busy week and I'm struggling to keep up, but you know how it goes... in order to accommodate a weekend off, you write your schedule and then put it out of your mind, only to realize you have scheduled yourself for a 10-day stretch.

I'm not even half way through. :/

This normally wouldn't be a problem, but my foot hasn't gotten any better - the pain has actually gotten worse. Which brings me to another problem... it turns out, podiatrists like to take Saturdays off, and as luck would have it, Saturday morning is the only day I'd be able to go. Wonderful.

Until I can figure out when I can squeeze a few extra hours into a day next week, I'm still icing the ol' foot and hoping everything will work itself out.

I recognize that I have a hoarding problem when it comes to white ceramic serve ware... 

On my only day off this week, I made another farro bowl! This time, I did an interpretation of fried rice (WTSM), only with my new favorite grain, farro! It was awesome! I definitely didn't use up as much of the grain as I would have if I used rice, which was nice because it was all about the veggies! And we're not talking frozen peas and carrots, people!


For one serving, I used:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup cooked farro
1/2 cup diced bell peppers (I used a combination of red, orange, yellow and green)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 cup baby spinach
1 egg*
green onion, for garnish
sesame seeds, optional

1. In a large pan, heat up oil over medium heat, add cooked farro and bell peppers and sauté them together until warmed through. Add the soy sauce and combine.
2. Pour farro mixture in your bowl or plate, or whatever you're planning on eating out of. 
3. Cook egg to your preference, and throw it on top, with slices of green onion and a sprinkle of sesame seeds, if desired. 
*I only cooked this over medium because that's how I prefer it. You could also scramble the egg and add it at the end if you wanted a more "traditional" fried rice style egg. 

Yummers! I always like to buy a giant bag of those mixed sweet peppers and chop them up to keep in the fridge for recipes like this. It's so much easier to throw vegetables in things when they're already cut up. Until I can afford a sous chef, I'll have to do it myself. Waaaaahhhh. :/

Comments

Anonymous said…
so lets not use that particular serving dish the next time we all make some food...just a thought ;) Hope the foot feels better!!!
Leslie said…
I need farro in my life. Can I get it at Trader Joe's? Probably, right? What about a regular old Giant? What's the calorie count like? I NEED A HOMEMADE FROZEN MULTI-PACK OF PEPPERS. HOW DO I NOT HAVE THAT ALREADY?
Joann said…
haha I'm sure Trader Joe's has it... I think... Giant might not, I don't think the farro thing has gotten very mainstream yet. I'll just buy a box and keep it in my purse at all times so I can give it to you when I see you again.

100 calories in 1/2 cup serving :)

It's filling too, so that's usually all I use. This stuff is worth its weight in gold. FO REALZ.

Popular Posts