Another How To...

How to… fuel a guy for an entire day's worth of shopping…

First, you've got to drum up some enthusiasm/excitement.  The easiest/most legal way to do this is a sugar rush.  This way, even if there's complaining, it won't be the kind where there's feet-dragging/moaning/sloth-like clawing towards the exit… at least it will be enthusiastic complaining.


Allow me to give you some backstory… P Socks is going to school.  He needs a wardrobe.  There is a dress code.  This means the worst kind of shopping ever… suits and shirts and ties and blah blah blah…

I was brought on to provide insight, enthusiasm, and to talk him out of veering comfortably towards, well, comfort.

It was quite the adventure…

I showed up at his apartment early.  Yes, armed with cupcakes (German Chocolate and Salted Caramel if you must know) and a head full of ideas.  He doesn't answer the door.

Okay.  I buzz again.

Nothing.  Four buzzes and a few strongly worded text messages later, the mission is a go.

Enter the apartment.  Scooter's still in his pajamas.  Clearly I have my work cut out for me.  A fair amount of stalling later, cupcakes are consumed and we're off to brunch for additional fuel.

Spinach crepe for me, some super sweet and heavy french toast thing for P Socks.  I realize what he is trying to do and call him out - the act of eating super heavy coma-inducing food does not mean there will be a mandatory siesta.  He will have to power through the full stomach.  Joke's on him.

We eventually make it to Tysons and between J Crew and Brooks Brothers, we are able to fully wardrobe the kid for success.  With extra room in the budget, we also fit in a stop at Lucky for some new dark denim (gasp!).

The best part about it all - P Socks had an open mind.  He was willing to at least try on different things, including this lovely pair of skinny jeans… (muah ha ha haaaaa)


And, although the skinny jeans didn't go home with him, a lot of other things made the cut and I think we did a pretty good job.

Well, I'm taking credit for a lot.  It really was the cupcakes and a super helpful associate named Evan.

Comments

Joey Bersack said…
WTF boners? Wasn't I invited on this trip too?
Joann said…
Sorry :/ we went on a weekday, but I think the success (and ease) of this trip may have cracked open the door to a willingness to shop for fun (gasp!).
Kristen said…
I wanna go shopping if there's cupcakes....
Leslie said…
Are those cupcakes from Pastry Xpo on Gallows rd?! I think I recognize them.
Joann said…
YES!!! Nice eye Leslie! The salted caramel one was by faaaaar my fave. I have made quite a long list of other ones I want to try too… topping that list, the super chocolatey one they have with the fancy-pants gold leaf on it. Drooooool...

Popular Posts