Quinoa Burgers!

I had the day off today and finally got around to the DMV to renew my driver's license.  FUN!  After a remarkably short wait (20 minutes!) I decided to head off to pick up some supplies to make quinoa burgers.

I put the recipe in this week's Eat Well Live Well newsletter and after harassing my team members for not reading the newsletter and trying the recipes, it dawned on me that I don't even try the recipes.  So, in order to justify harassment, I decided to try the recipe myself.  Excellent… :)

Joey's heading over to play some tennis (beautiful weather for it!), but I wanted to throw a quick blog up with the recipe in case you're still wondering what to make for dinner.  These burgers are DELICIOUS.  And they come in at around 130 calories!



Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cottage cheese
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium carrot, finely grated
1 cup corn
3 eggs
3 tablespoons flour
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
olive oil for frying

Directions:
1.  In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and 2 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil.  Cover with lid and bring down to low heat.  Allow to simmer for 15 minutes, then fluff with a fork and allow to cool.


2.  In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, carrots, corn, eggs, flour, green onions, sugar, pepper, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper.  Stir to combine.



3.  Heat oil in pan about 1/4 cup at a time and using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop out quinoa mix into pan.  Mixture will be sticky!  Fry until golden brown, approximately 4 minutes on each side.  Note: Don't rush this part otherwise your patties will crumble to teeny tiny sad little pieces.  Be patient, it's worth it.



Alright, wish me luck in tennis!  You KNOW how I feel about winning!!!

Comments

Popular Posts