Mother's Day Festivities

So the family decided to celebrate Mother's Day the only way Asians know how... by eating.

 Oh DANG.

 I asked my little Korean sidekick for an insider tip, and she pointed me to Hee Been in Alexandria for the BEST Korean BBQ/Sushi buffet EVER.

Climbing in and out of this pit in the ground ended up being a biiiit of a struggle after the first plate of sushi... 

In my opinion, eating at Korean Buffets are always a bit of a roller coaster ride... 

1.  You start off hitting the ground running, clearly going for the sushi (because the idea of an endless supply of sushi seems almost too good to be true)
2.  As the rice gets packed into your belly, your body starts telling you, "I don't know how I feel about this..." but you forge on, because you are a champion.
3.  Back at the frontline, you decide to sample the cold stuff... the kimchi, strange squishy salads, pickled vegetables of sorts, all with the hopes of giving your stomach a bit of a break
4.  You pick around, then remember you're at a Korean BBQ, so naturally, you and a friend go back for the piece de resistance... the meat.  By now, you've got to just chew and swallow and get the food down... 
5.  The buttons start coming undone at this point, but that is just a sign of perseverance... forge on, my friend.  
6.  You know the drill, Asian Buffets are ALL guaranteed to have one thing: crappy dessert (watery ice cream, tiny pieces of dried up cake... jell-o...)  but EVERY SINGLE time, you have to try to prove this fact wrong... you are dumb, so am I.  The cake will always be dry, the "ice cream" will never taste any better with that strange peanut/crumb topping thrown on top of it... 

 SUSHI!!!

 I have NEVER seen a happier Aunt Connie. 

 Livia is going to hate me for this photo... 
Meh, I think it really showcases her dedication.
THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!!!! 

And I'd do it all over again tomorrow.  LOVE me some Korean Buffets. :) 

Comments

Susan said…
hilarious! esp. love the last pic and caption.

p.s. if you wanna go back sometime soon i'm game. shockingly i've never had korean bbq. i know i know...
Joann said…
whaaaat??? Let's do it!!

Popular Posts