My First Swag (!)

Last night, I got (and stayed) dressed up for about 4 hours and Joey and I headed to DC to screen a documentary by David Boatman at the Corcoran. HOW pretentious does that sound?! Yeah, we thought it was a pretty big deal...

Anyways, the film is on Ralph Rucci, the hidden gem of fashion designers. Rucci is an American-born designer, the first to be invited to present at a Paris couture show since the 1930s. It was an amazing documentary that showed Rucci's personality (which is hilarious... I want to be his bff), his obsessive attention to detail, his innovative designs and materials, and his english bulldog.


In 2004, my friend Ian and I snuck out on a school night (gasp!) senior year to go see Rucci give a lecture at the Corcoran... after 2302983092832 unfortunate events that occurred that day, we finally got to the Corcoran only to find a flyer posted saying that Rucci was sick and his lecture would not be taking place that evening. But, thanks to a friendly waitress named Princess, we drowned our sorrows in (illegal - we were 18) apple martinis and white pizza before we left the city.

So, finally in 2009, even seeing a documentary on Rucci has quenched a bit of my thirst (it would have been nice if he would have given a lecture instead... but I'm not complaining).

An added bonus - since the event was cohosted by Neiman Marcus, we got swag (translation: FREE SHIZZ)! I guess because of the recession, they opted to not give everyone iphones and free macbooks... so we got samples from makeup counters and I even got a voucher for a free facial (holler)!


The documentary can be seen on the Sundance Channel, Ralph Rucchi: A Designer and His House.

image courtesy of www.sundancechannel.com

Comments

Popular Posts