Obsessions - The Vegetarian (and part time Vegan) Foodie Edition

So, thanks to my new found interest in reading (!) and some free time (understatement of the year), I've finally had the time to read Skinny Bitch, which Rachel from work has been raving about since Christmas. And I've ditched meat for over a week now (and I surprisingly might even pass up a steak now if it were offered to me) <- shocking if you know me at all.
So here you go, the Obsession List devoted to my week of trials in the world of vegetables and soy product:

quinoa <-- apparently popular is the vegetarian world. They have some amazing quinoa and corn salad at work. There's avocados involved, so obviously amazing.
Tahini Hummus - for everything, european cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, falafel (obvi), babies (you get the point)
Purely Decadent Soy Ice Cream Bars - I might even venture out to say they're better than the real thing.
couscous - of the mushroom variety, but if you're Susie, you already knew that... and you knew it was already one of my favorites long before even reading the book.
Veggie Cheese - a vegan alternative, pretty similar except I tried to use the mozz version to make pizza today and when it bakes, it turns into an interesting plastic texture - still edible though.
Soy Yogurt - phenomenal. Tastes even better than the real deal.
Miso Soup - hahaha I used to make fun of Joey all the time for this stuff..." I'll take my miso light on the miso, heavy on the water." It's good though, with some tofu and mushroom
Homegrown Mesclun Mix - obviously the best tasting arugula is from your own backyard... in my case, my own window box. Regardless, LOVE the flavor of arugula with homemade lemon vinagrette. * update: in my research on Mesclun blends of lettuce, I have wandered onto a website where you can order seeds for all sorts of fruit and veggies... great.

Also unavoidable this week were the DEFINATE never agains:
1. this strange block of "meltable" tofu cheddar I bought. The texture was is gross. Don't even pause to think about it. If it's orange and comes in a block, just walk on my friend.
2. Tofurkey's no-meat breakfast sausages. I thought I'd be versatile, you know... cut some up for pasta, have a link with toast for breakfast. No. It tastes and feels like dirt in casing. I'm sure this is why vegan food gets a bad rap. Never again.

Well, now that I'm thoroughly distracted by plans for perhaps becoming a suburban farmer, I'm going to browse the site. Lata!

Comments

Susan said…
Warning... ok Joann so I bought that book I don't remember I think it was winter maybe anywho... while it sounds like your week is going well. I couldn't do it... after 2 wks of no meat I gave in and as for going vegan I mean whoa. But I wish you the best of luck. Personally I don't think one needs to be a vegan to be skinny or a bitch lol.
Susan said…
oh and thanks for the shout out
Joann said…
hahahaha no prob. I feel like Yerin could write a fine how-to book on the latter.
Cassondra said…
I'm telling Shelby about your possible newfound vegetarianism. She, too had a hard time with Dim Sum when we got it with Yerin once...

Popular Posts