Let's Talk About Love… And Pie

Hello emotions! I'm overcome with them today thanks to news of the most amazing couple I know (sorry everyone else) getting married! You know who you are and I love the crap out of you two. :)

In honor of love (and being rained in), I whipped up the only thing that could properly illustrate all of the emotions I'm currently having in a single bite. Salted Caramel Apple Pie, SON.


The creators of this glorious pie, Four and Twenty Blackbirds were recently featured in The Selby, where I jacked the recipe from their hand scribbled interview:


Definitely check out the rest of the photos - you can almost taste the pies through the picturesssss.

As for my own pie, I had to do some guesswork because the notes above don't really give exact measurements (and I skipped the angostura bitters… because you know, who has that just laying around?!).

I followed the ingredients listed about and used 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg, a pinch of black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon of cloves, and 1 tablespoon of flour to coat the apples. I also brushed the crust with an egg wash and topped it with extra salt and raw sugar for good luck.

As for baking, preheat your oven to 375 and bake for 20 minutes. Then lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25-35 minutes.

I used my favorite - granny smith apples!

Cooking the caramel does get a little dangerous! I expected it to bubble (like the recipe says) but once you add the half and half, it bubbles like crazy - so be careful!

All prepped and ready for the oven! In my all-time favorite pie dish, my Emile Henry. I love this dish because it's deeper than most, so there's room for loads of filling and less chance of spillage!

And the best part? There's caramel leftover for the finale. 

I've got three words for you: 

A. LA. MODE.

Need more pie?? They've got a book!

Also noteworthy, I put together some goat cheese and tomato tarts with the leftover crust. Smash 1 cup of goat cheese with one egg (I used the leftover from what I brushed the pie crust with), two minced garlic cloves, sprinkle of salt, oregano, and rosemary (or any dried herbs you've got handy). Roll out the crust, spread the filling in and top with halved tomatoes (I used the bright orange zimas, but you can use cherry or sliced roma tomatoes). Brush the crust with more egg wash, then top it all with salt and pepper. Bake with your glorious apple pie. 

Boom. Savory pie. For those lucky people with bacon on hand, use it.

Comments

Unknown said…
The pie looks amazing! The tarts are just the icing on the cake.... I love everything breakfast so I will defiantly be trying to make some tarts like that.

Speaking of breakfast have you tried the breakfast soufflƩs at Panera? They are awesome!
Leslie said…
I will hold back my offense to your "most amazing couple" comment if I can get some of that pie sometime.
Joann said…
Thanks @drew! You DEF need to make the pie. And DUH I've had the soufflƩs at Panera. They're my JAM but they're always selling out! Lame.
Joann said…
And my dearest Leslie, y'all will have your fifteen minutes of blog fame. You have my word that I'll use so many adjectives to describe your perfect union that the internet will break.

Popular Posts