Making Pickles!

It makes me crazy two have to buy herbs. I've tried growing them but that crap doesn't work for me. I've tried two types of basil (not as easy as everyone says it is!), cilantro, sage, thyme, rosemary, NOTHING. 

So this week, I had a recipe that called for a tablespoon of dill and I bought a huge bunch. Typical. Meaning I had a lot to use up in a short amount of time.

FOOD52 to the rescue! I found a recipe for dill pickles that was super easy and used up the insane amount of dill I had on hand.

YOU WILL NEED:

2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1/3 cup salt*
5 pickling cucumbers**
1 bunch dill
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
Extra Stuff You Think You Might Like (i.e. garlic, crushed red pepper, lemon)

In a small saucepan, heat water, vinegar, and salt over medium high heat until salt is fully dissolved in the brine. Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely.

Roughly chop dill, wash and slice cucumbers (lengthwise or slices).

Place cucumbers in the jar(s) and divide the chopped dill, peppercorns, and any additional seasoning of your choice between the jars if you are using more than one.

Pour the cooled brine into the jar(s), making sure the cucumbers are fully covered. Tighten lids, and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Pickles will keep for up to 6 months!

 *I think the pickles are a taaaad to salty, but in an addictive way, so I might try 1/4 cup next time
**Ain't nobody got time to go out and find pickling cucumbers. As far as I'm concerned any cucumber will work. I used two english cucumbers. Stop being such a pain in the butt FOOD52. 

I made a total of three medium sized jars - I am absolutely in LOVE with these weck jars I picked up from World Market a while back. They're available almost everywhere and come in a variety of sizes.

I added a clove of garlic to each jar and did two jars of spears and one jar of sliced, which I added a teaspoon of crushed red pepper to.

Currently chowing down on Gwyneth approved avocado and vegan mayo toast and some of these little pickles. They're super crunchy and have a load of flavor from just having chilled out overnight!

And now I want to be a jarring queen.

Comments

Leslie said…
Is the avocado toast good? That "recipe" has been the most attractive to me so far, as I comb through the book. I've also never had vegenaise. Is that good? I really love mayo...
Joann said…
It's the most ridiculous recipe because it's SO simple it doesn't even count as a recipe. But I seriously make this EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. It is amazing. So is the vegenaise. Well, I use Nayonnaise (another vegan mayo), and it's amazing. I'll never go back to regular mayo!!
Leslie said…
Joann. Formal petition to be included on the Cast and Crew page as a crewmember since I'm a faithful, though sometimes delayed commented. I'd like a picture of me with my new glasses though. Thanks.
Joann said…
Your petition has been reviewed and approved. Please have your people forward a photo to be published in the Cast and Crew section and arrange for a time when we can conduct an interview so we can get an approved bio up on the page.

- management

Popular Posts