Monday was the BEST day

'Twas on Monday that my life changed…

I discovered the happiest place in the world. Eataly.

The only way I can describe it is like that feeling you got as a kid when you walked into a Zany Brainy… or as a human when you walk into a Sweet Frog… or as an adult walking into a Home Depot…

Your heart stops for a while, you feel like the possibilities are endless, and you don't even know where to begin. BECAUSE LIFE IS SO EXCITING.

Eataly is that for people who love food and want to be with other people who love food and appreciate it and want to be surrounded by it.

I want to live in this place. And that says a lot because I live (read: am employed at) a pretty freaking awesome purveyor of foods. But not Eataly awesome.

Some people dream of having a baller wine collection, I aspire to collect cheese. All of it.

I scooped up a section of the greatest parmigiano reggiano I've ever had and some sheep's milk cheese to take home.

I picked up that beautiful Rustic Olive loaf you're drooling over. But should have also purchased the Rustic Walnut and Rustic Prosciutto and Parm. :/

Their bread is fantastic - Mike and I decided to split a focaccia with ricotta and squash on top for a quick bite while shopping. It was outstanding. They have plenty of places to eat in this palace of food, so don't think you don't have options. Sit down, stand up, pizza, panini, salads, everything.

Not even a fair representation of the desserts they had, I had to take one with me, so I picked the Baba Al Limoncello with pistachios on top. But seriously considered buying the giant lemon tart above it.

And then I saw the fresh pasta case. It's weird to feel extreme emotions around your friend's boyfriend over squid ink pasta, but some things in life cannot be helped. Mike took it like a champion. I reckon everyone out of town reacts this way when brought to this wonderful place for the first time.

Because a trip to the coolest food store wasn't enough, we also stopped by the coolest shop for dinnerware and serve ware in the world - Fishs Eddy. It's like if the kitchen section of Anthropologie and Etsy had a baby and it had a baby with World Market, who then had a baby with the coolest vintage shop ever. Wait. What. This place is awesome. That's all you need to know. I will be filling any future kitchen/restaurant I own with their dishes and silverware. 

So, after visiting these two awesome places, we headed back to the apartment to make dinner - the tried and true Sweet Potato Gnocchi. But with a twist - making our own ricotta! 

With one gallon of whole milk, heated to 200 degrees, added rice wine and apple cider vinegar, and some truffle salt, we had some dang good ricotta! We used two cups of it for the gnocchi and smeared the rest on the rustic olive bread with some amazing balsamic vinegar and polished it all off.

Mike and I rolled gnocchi while Casey whipped up the olive bread and ricotta and took photos of our precious little pasta. Oh, and of course Justin gets credit too for helping out with dishes.

And then we split the Baba for dessert. Perfection.

After dinner, Casey, Justin and I headed to the coolest movie theater I've ever been to to watch Frozen in 3D while seated in the comfiest recliners ever. 

I'll never be the same.

The movie was amazing. Justin leaned over halfway through the movie and didn't even bother trying to whisper, "this movie is INCREDIBLE." And it truly is. We couldn't shut up about it. I still can't.

Everyone needs to see this movie. EVERYONE.

I had no interest in owning a Smart TV before seeing this movie. Suddenly, I NEED one. I also need a recliner. And a popcorn machine. And melted butter dispenser. And a punk kid to stand behind a counter and refuse to layer my popcorn for me. 

I need to find out if they're showing Frozen in 4D IMAX. I need to see this in as many dimensions as possible on the biggest screen possible. 

Daily Dessert Diary:
Baba Al Limoncello (1/4)
Pumpkin Pie Truffles from Momofuku Milk Bar (2)
Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach (1)

Comments

Popular Posts