Goop Test No. 1

Inspired by the trout I had at Mon Ami Gabi last week, I decided to tackle it DIY style and whipped out the ol' Lady Gwyneth cookbook.

I actually wanted to try the recipe for beet soup, only to find out it's actually a recipe for beet greens soup... greens that I didn't have. One thing led to another and next thing you know, I'm roasting beets and making a mint and scallion pesto. 

Surprise! It's great on trout too!

I'm not sure of anything in life that wouldn't be made better by a little pesto in it. 

I'll admit, I was a little skeptical because this was a cheese-less pesto (Can you blame me? A cheese-less pesto? What's the point!? AMIRIGHT?)... but it's awesome! It's got plenty of kick from the garlic and scallions and it works for your vegan friends too!

I roasted some red skinned potatoes the next day and used up the leftover pesto on it. YUM. Will most definitely be bringing this to a backyard BBQ this summer. 

Speaking of BBQs, EWLW is still happening-ish. I'm obsessed with Trident Salmon Burgers and think this would be a great way to put an EWLW spin on a traditional cook out plate. You still have your potato salad (just mayo-less and with a lot more flavor!), a burger (sans bun and made out of salmon) and your corn on the cob. 

Scallion + Mint Pesto
(makes 1 cup)

1/2 cup toasted almonds
2 small garlic cloves, minced
a dozen scallions, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped
1/3 cup mint leaves
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup water
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt

Puree everything in a powerful blender or food processor until smooth.

Comments

Leslie said…
Pesto normally has cheese in it? I haven't had it in a while, but I didn't realize there was cheese. Everything but the salad looks good. Blecccchhhh, salad.
Eric said…
" a burger (sans bun and made out of salmon)"

At what point does a burger cease to be a burger? If a round piece of fish served without a bun counts, what does this mean for the rest of the food world?

Are mashed potatoes in an ice cream cone considered ice cream? Am I eating square steaks for breakfast (only made out of wheat, toasted and served with honey)?

You've gone down a dangerous path, Tong. Be safe.

Popular Posts