Chocolate Yogurt Cake
I saw this recipe by Baked Bree and was intrigued because of the yogurt and homegirl had a photo of a beautiful chocolate loaf with a chocolate glaze perfectly dripping down the sides of it. WHAT. I definitely had to try it.
This is insane. Insane. I actually laughed when I snuck a taste of the batter because it was so insanely good.
I thought it would be like most quick breads - that the batter would be runnier and would bake up into this loaf that would be great for breakfast.
This is straight up a cake batter. It tastes like the edges of a brownie pan. It tastes like someone high-fived your face with one of those wonderfully warm and gooey and rich flour-less chocolate waffles from Sweetwater.
This is basically something you should definitely make for dessert sometime (perhaps for Valentine's Day??) and serve up a warm slice with some vanilla ice cream, a dusting of powdered sugar, and some berries. Ohmygosh. I would be yours forever.
So enough small talk. Let's get down to business... You can check the link above for the original recipe, but here's my tweaked version. I made three smaller loaves but you can make one big loaf if that's more your style. Whatevs.
You'll Need:
6 Tablespoons butter (room temp)
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
6-ounces vanilla yogurt (I used Wegmans Super Yogurt - holla at some omega-3s!)
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
I skipped the glaze but if you want it, here's the recipe:
Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cocoa
3-4 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions:
In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, water, and vanilla. Set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about three minutes.
Add eggs one at a time and blend until smooth.
Add half of the flour mixture to the batter while mixing. Add the yogurt mixture and then the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
YES. But wait...
That's right. My batter's clumpy. You know why? Because I'm not afraid of chocolate. If you aren't afraid, you can add a handful of chocolate chips to your batter too.
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 350 and bake for one hour.
If you're using a glaze, let the cake cool completely, mix the glaze ingredients in a bowl until smooth and pour over the cooled cake.
That's it!
I'm currently wondering if cake in the shape of a loaf is appropriate to eat for breakfast. I mean, I feel like as long as it's not topped with buttercream icing it's cool.


Comments