farro is sooo the new quinoa...

Now that Eat Well Live Well is fast approaching, I decided to jump on the health food bandwagon and give farro a try. Last year, I was all about the quinoa - and don't get me wrong, I love me some quinoa... but Farro...

Farro, you've got such nutty, rich flavor. You're delicate, but hearty. You've won my heart.

For those of you willing to give this grain a try (I highly recommend it!), I picked up a box of the stuff (8 oz) and boiled it with 2 1/4 cups liquid (I used one cup of water and 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth) and then simmered it for 35 minutes.

After it's done simmering and all of the liquid has been absorbed, just fluff it with a fork and you're done! It can be served either hot or cold, but I cooked up all of it at once and put it in a giant tub in the fridge. (I'm notorious for making about 2 tablespoons of grains at a time then never picking the stuff up again, so cooking it all at once usually forces me to go through the inventory.)

Anyway, I worked super early today and came home starving and exhausted, and that's when I remembered the farro! YESSSS.

Ten minutes later, here I am... full, happy, and blogging about it.

I took 1/2 cup of the cooked farro and put it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil, then I added anything that I had in the fridge - a giant handful of spinach, half of a boiled red potato, blanched green beans, roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, zucchini, and half of a can of tuna later...

You get something that looks like a huge pile of cooked vegetables.

And, whenever you're in doubt, it's always a good idea to throw a fried egg on top.

Always.

Much like my whole Naan Pizza obsession, you can basically do anything with this super grain. Give it a try! Get creative! And let me know what you think!

Before you head out and try this, you should make sure you have Sriracha in the fridge. My heart was crushed after I had just finished laying that gorgeous fried egg on top and thought, "SRIRACHA!" only to find that I was all out. :(

Comments

Leslie said…
I'm really sad I didn't check this before dinner last night. I went to Legal Seafood for a work dinner, and they have a farro salad with dried cherries and pistachios as a side. And I almost got it so I could try it, but I went for the broccoli instead. So sad.
Joann said…
:( SUPER SAD FACE. Dude, I just decided the next get together will be a make-your-own-farro-bowl party! You will be most certainly get your fill of farro then!!!

ALSO, GANGSTER PLUS BROWNIE POINTS OF AWESOMENESS for your legit commenting streak! I'M SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL MAKE YOU FARRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Popular Posts