Istanbul: Day 2
We woke up early the next day and hit up breakfast at the hostel (got shushed during breakfast for being too loud - apparently Turks don't really talk during meals…) with Caroline, then headed out for a tour of the Bosphorus…
Well, that was the plan.
We found our way to the Bosphorus and when we got there we were coaxed into a van by some guy promising there was a ferry tour in store for us (don't worry moms - it seemed totally safe… -ish). There was, but I'm not sure that that was good news.
Allow me to explain… I get motion sickness like it's my job. I was basically born to stay on the ground, minimal jostling. But, I decided, whatever, I'm in Turkey, I'm going to power through (I also wasn't going to be a buzz-kill and keep everyone from doing this ferry tour).
I stepped onto the tiny boat and within seconds turned about 10 shades of green, popped a Dramamine, and passed out until it was over. So, I have absolutely no photos of this section of our trip.
I'm told the tour was actually nothing but a boat ride - there were no stops along the way (like we were led to believe) and no explanation of what we were even seeing. So... so much for that.
When we (finally) got back on shore, we obviously had to find food. We didn't have to look too far - there were lots of yummies right on the dock - boats were all over the place, cooking up fresh fish for sandwiches.
Caroline & Kelly - adorbs
Well, that was the plan.
We found our way to the Bosphorus and when we got there we were coaxed into a van by some guy promising there was a ferry tour in store for us (don't worry moms - it seemed totally safe… -ish). There was, but I'm not sure that that was good news.
Allow me to explain… I get motion sickness like it's my job. I was basically born to stay on the ground, minimal jostling. But, I decided, whatever, I'm in Turkey, I'm going to power through (I also wasn't going to be a buzz-kill and keep everyone from doing this ferry tour).
I stepped onto the tiny boat and within seconds turned about 10 shades of green, popped a Dramamine, and passed out until it was over. So, I have absolutely no photos of this section of our trip.
I'm told the tour was actually nothing but a boat ride - there were no stops along the way (like we were led to believe) and no explanation of what we were even seeing. So... so much for that.
When we (finally) got back on shore, we obviously had to find food. We didn't have to look too far - there were lots of yummies right on the dock - boats were all over the place, cooking up fresh fish for sandwiches.
Fresh fried fish sandwiched between amazing bread with lettuce and onions. YUM. <3
And the accompaniments - lemon juice and salt. No mayonnaise here (sorry Yerin).
After that traumatizing experience, we walked around the city some more…
Kelly and Caroline in front of the Blue Mosque.
The Hagia Sophia in daylight!
And then we decided it was time for a baklava break… (read: we were starting to get hunger induced rage/anger)
...in front of the best baklava shop in the city (in my opinion)
SO HAPPY
SO DELICIOUS
After baklava, we headed back to the hostel to bid Caroline adieu, then we gave into our exhaustion and took the greatest nap ever. It was so delicious and necessary that I even drooled (you know you needed a nap when you wake up in a pool of drool).
After our nap, we were super cranky and decided the only cure for this was food. Duh.
Yerin's trying to muster up a smile, but times are tough.
My dinner ended up being a bust… :( I ordered a little dolma sampler (since I love dolma) and this is what I ended up getting… poked around a bit, but needless to say, I was a bit disappointed in my selection. :|
Lesson learned. When in doubt, order the Adana Kebab. Always.
After we got some food and tea in us, we decided we were once again civil enough to venture back into civilization… so we headed to Taksim in search of Turkish beer and the delicious rice-stuffed mussels I fell in love with at Kenan's house (these mussels are also 90% of the reason why I wanted to go to Turkey in the first place).
We conquered public transportation! Somehow we found our way via subway to Taksim Square, and were quite disappointed in seeing that it basically was Georgetown. It was just a giant strip of super-expensive designer brands… not exactly what we had in mind.
We took a turn down a side street and found what we were looking for - strings of endless outdoor bars and eateries and stalls of those famous mussels I had come across the world for…
As Kenan directed, we had some beer…
And then ate lots of mussels…
In the process, Kelly found a husband…
He gave her a flower. Turkish guys are so romantic. <3
Congratulations Kelly and mystery Turkish guy. We will call you Mehmet.
… and we ended up back at our bar where I was able to have a proper dinner. We had beef kebabs and lots of apple tea over discussion of planning Kelly's whirlwind Turkish wedding.
Life in Istanbul (...even on days you're stuck at sea on a two-hour tour) is too good.
It seems like Kelly and I both found the loves of our lives on Day 2…
Joj + Mussels = <3










Comments
how is mehmet :):)
And thank you for uploading the worst photos of me.
Are these the only photos you're going to publish? I thought you took over a 1000...