Joj's Jarring Adventure
A little botulism never hurt anyone, right?
Remember those purple tomatillos I planted in the Spring? Well, I was FOOLED. The tomatillos turned out green. Really green. Not even a hint of purple…
Well, what is a girl to do…? I bought some Bell Jars and got busy making roasted tomatillo salsa.
I looked up some recipes and while I usually like to alter them a bit, I stuck with this one because, well… it seems like Rick Bayless knows what he's doing...
Love me some Ricky B.
This salsa recipe is the BOMB DIGGITY. You're going to need the following:
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos
3 cloves of garlic
5 serrano chilis
1/2 cup cilantro
1 large onion, chopped
2 teaspoons coarse salt
Directions:
Set oven to Broil.
Peel tomatillos and rinse in warm water to remove the stickiness.
Spread on a baking sheet with garlic and chilis. Broil until slightly charred on both sides, approx 5 minutes on each side.
Peel garlic and remove stems from the chilis, then combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
As far as the jarring part of it is concerned, don't even bother. This stuff is so good there's really not enough to go around as it is… I've had it on scrambled eggs, burgers, sandwiches, and the rest has found its way onto a chip/cracker/spoon and into my belly.
Jarring was really more of an experiment for me since I thought, "You know what people who grow things do? They JAR. I can too."
Jury's still out on that, I didn't have an official jarring mechanism, so I had to wing it a bit:
But, so far so good… they sure do look like jars of salsa…
When I finally do decide to tackle some pork shoulder tacos or some awesome chicken enchiladas, you had better BELIEVE this stuff is going to be all up in it.
Stay tuned for my post from the emergency room: Joj Tackles Botulism.






Comments