Chocolate and Competition...

A few weeks ago, Jules and I headed out to a fundraiser armed with the best chocolate cakes ever in an attempt to win votes and you know, support our community or whatever.

I figured it would be fun, kind of a relaxed environment… since it was for charity and everything…

Apparently when you put a room full of pastry chefs in uber-starched whites and tokes and throw the word "competition" out there, it gets real (and real fast).

I watch plenty of Top Chef, I realize this industry is cut throat… but DANG.  I had no idea.

We went the route of bringing something simple but AWESOME and leave the foamy, reduction-y crap for the "professionals."

I use the term "professionals" rather loosely, since the "professional" next to us was wearing pants with hot dogs printed all over them… Wait… What's that I hear?  Oh, and there goes your street cred.

Jules hanging out with hot dog pants.

Hot dog pants don't belong at a chocolate event!  Duh.

Sorry for the jump around… the day started off like this, I had to box up all of the cake and we had to somehow get all 22 cakes into Jules' brand new truck and schlep it down Rt. 7.  

clearly we didn't have any boy scouts on hand to help out…

Regardless, we made it in one piece… once at the loading dock all of those "professionals" I mentioned walked by and basically laughed at us.  Rude.  

Well, we did what we could, had fun with it, and met Mike Isabella in the process.



And as the evening was winding down, I got a chance to have some cake myself… while demonstrating how to eat cake and a serving of fruit at the same time. 


If you ask me, I think our cake should have won.  You wanted chocolate?  We GAVE you chocolate in its simplest, richest, most decadent form.  CAKE.  WHO DOESN'T LOVE CAKE?!

The chief complaint among tasters was that our portions were "too big."  Alright, based on this complaint along, it is very obvious to me that the pool of people that voted were clearly insane.  IS there such a thing as a piece of chocolate cake being TOO BIG?!  

I think not!

Comments

Unknown said…
haha i love it joann!!!

great blog..i had been waiting for you to update this!

go wegmans chocolate cake! :)

Popular Posts