Time for More Cake!!!

When doing my rounds on the interweb, I happened upon a recipe for Raspberry Buttermilk Cake on smittenkitchen.com and have been meaning to try it for a while...

Well, the Produce Gods heard my cry, because I hit the jackpot with a recession-proof $0.99 for Organic Raspberries yesterday, so that's right folks, IT'S CAKE TIME!


You can find the recipe for this cake on the smitten kitchen website, but if you're too lazy (I won't name names), I will also list it below for your convenience. I know, I know... I'm such a good person. By the way, in case you can't find $0.99 raspberries, you can also use blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries.

you will need
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
2/3 c + 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, divided
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon zest (optional)
1 large egg
1/2 c. well shaken buttermilk (see below if you want to make your own)
1 c. fresh raspberries

directions
1. preheat oven to 400, butter and flour a 9 inch round pan
2. in a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside
note: to make buttermilk (and not spend extra $$$ on it... mix one cup of milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar, set aside for 10 minutes and mix well before using)
3. in a larger bowl, beat butter and 2/3 c. sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in vanilla and zest. Add egg and beat well.
4. at low speed, mix in flour mixture in three parts, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
5. spoon batter into cake pan and smooth out the top
6. scatter (or arrange obsessively) raspberries evenly over the top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
7. bake until cake is golden and passes the toothpick test, about 20 - 25 minutes.
8. cool in pan 10 minutes, turn out onto a rack and cool 10 - 15 minutes more, invert onto a plate and serve


before

after
(whoops. I couldn't wait and took a Paula Deen-sized sample)

And just a side note, I decided I no longer believe in providing you with serving sizes. Thy've never been realistic in my opinion and it all depends on how willing you are to share with others.

(And this is a good one to keep all to yourself)

Comments

Popular Posts