Clafoutis

Fresh off of my tour-de-ventre of New York, I decided to look up a few Eric Ripert recipes and found a super-simple Clafoutis recipe, tweaked it around a bit and executed it like I knew what I was doing (which I don't).


I know you guys have these ingredients in your kitchen (especially if your name is Susie) so you have no excuse not to make this. I went from fridge to fork in less than 3o minutes. The following recipe is for my version, but Ripert does it with raspberries - but Eric Ripert can afford fresh organic raspberries picked by virgin maidens in the Alps... and I had a red plum and an apple in the fridge.

Serves 6-8 (realistically though, probably about 4)

2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar + more for ramekin
2 large eggs
12 tablespoons heavy cream (or half and half)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 red plum and 1/2 apple sliced thinly (or any fruit really)
powdered sugar (optional)

  1. Heat oven to 400°F. Butter round dish and dust with sugar.
  2. Whisk egg until frothy and add sugar, cream and vanilla extract; mix to combine.
  3. Add the all purpose flour and whisk very well.
  4. Arrange fruit on dish and pour the batter over the fruit.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and the middle is set. (I sprinkled a little extra granulated sugar on top and broiled for a few minutes - if you do this keep an eye on it, I've had a few broils turn into burns)
  6. Take the sucker out of the oven once set and allow to cool. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top before serving (optional, of course)
recipe courtesy http://aveceric.com

Comments

Susan said…
I have to say I dont think I have heavy cream on hand... but that looks delish!
Unknown said…
OKAY. LIST OF GRIEVANCES.

i had all of those ingredients on hand. you said it would be easy. i took my computer to the kitchen and commenced baking.

1) you did not mention what size pan.
2) i had to bake it for 23 minutes (probably due to pan size differences)
3) you really used TWO TEASPOONS of butter to grease the pan? I hope this is another pan size issue.
4) the part about using caution while broiling really should have been bolded. really. really.
5) i used apples only and added cinnamon to the apples and the crust. delicious.

i miss you. if it wasn't 12:30 i would call you about the broiling thing. really.

kelly

Popular Posts